Easter Elchies House
A Watchful Sentinel Since 1700
In 1700, John Grant’s project of restructuring and expanding the residence at Easter Elchies was completed. This work involved changing the Estate house from an ‘L’ shaped tower house to a ‘T’ plan by adding another wing. After the project was finished, the three-story Highland manor house had features which included crow-stepped end gables and a watchtower, complete with a corbelled staircase in the angle of the north-facing walls.
Undertaking such a major building project at the end of the seventeenth century would have seen quarrymen splitting sheets of sandstone from local quarries, workmen cutting these sheets of stone into rough blocks, and then highly skilled stonemasons working these stones into the shapes required for the design of the building.
John Grant’s project turned Easter Elchies House from a simple, semi-fortified tower house into a small Highland manor house, surrounded by a fine Estate, with woodlands, pasture and arable land. This special place was destined to become the spiritual home of The Macallan. An original granite inscription, high on the west elevation of Easter Elchies House, which bears the initials JPG (John Patrick Grant) and the year 1700, honours his achievement.